Monday 17 December 2007

Should I offset my carbon emissions?

The debate on Global Warming continues. Does it exist? It is as bad or dramatic as we're led to believe? I saw this video several weeks ago, which does an excellent job at highlighting why we should stop debating, and take action instead.

Click here for the most terrifying video you'll ever see

Great! If you watched the video I'm assuming you can't argue with this guy's theory - I know I couldn't. But what a dilemma. There's no way I can sing from my hymn sheets or shout from my soap box about global warming, when I'm about to hop on a plane to Thailand - and apparently drop a total of 1.1 tonnes of carbon dioxide on the earth while I'm doing it. That's 1.1 tonnes per person - each way. So if I include Paul AND our return flights into the equation - we'll be responsible for a whopping total of 4.4 tonnes!!!

What are the options?

1. Don't fly
2. Offset our carbon
3. Bury our heads in the sand and forget about it

Really the only viable option for me at this stage in my master plan to leading a happy life, is option 2 - offset our carbon.

So - I set about finding out more on the subject... What a mine field!!!! I'm now completely confused about whether I should bother offsetting or not. Many reports reveal that it could in fact be harmful to the environment.

I've looked at several sites, all of which offer different projects. Most of the projects involve buying trees (which apparently could be harmful), or investing in developing environmentally friendly products, services and methods - in developing countries.

Now it struck me that the real changes need to happen in the developed countries - surely they are the worst offenders. Why invest in developing countries? I can't quite get my head around the prospect of wealthy westerners polluting the planet, and then offsetting their damage, by investing in implementing environmentally aware products and services in less wealthy countries... What - are the poorer nations our environmental slaves now???

About the best site I've come across so far is www.globalcool.org

This site tries to educate us on ways to reduce our emissions within our own countries, and uses celebrities and other high profile individuals to promote the entire concept as being a "trendy" thing to do.

They also provide you with the option to buy "tonnes of cool" - which they invest in UN and DEFRA approved projects. Many of these projects are based in developing countries, but I like the fact that the site is so focused on educating the masses! It provides loads of simple tips on how each of us can easily reduce our own carbon footprint. So overall it seems well balanced.

I haven't actually made the step and parted with my pennies as yet. I'm still faced with the following dilemma.

1. Is it worth offsetting or not?
2. Is Global Cool the best site to go for, if I do decide it IS worth it?

hhhmmmmmmm....... what to do?


Further reading:

Article in the Guardian

Carbon Offsetting Harms the Environment

What DEFRA have to say

The Inconvenient Truth about Carbon Offsetting

No comments: